Today we arruved at the beautiful harbour of Cartagena. Instead of being an industrial harbour like many, this one had a marina with attractive buildings behind, and mountains on either side.
The first stop on our bus tour was the Monastery of the Virgin of Fuensanta, which overlooks the region of Murcia. The name means Virgin of the Holy Spring. Apparently someone claims to have seen the Virgin Mary near an eruption of spring water, hence the name. (I’m sure you can all picture the look on Michael’s face when he heard that one!) We then drove past some fruit orchards (oranges) to the city of Murcia. Once there, we stopped at the Bishop’s residence, and watched a procession of priests, followed by the Bishop, heading to the cathedral, accompanied by much ringing of bells. This was probably for a special service in honour of Holy Week.
Down the street was the Casino de Murcia, one of the most historic buildings in Murcia. It has always been a private club, but now the ground floor is open to the public. After it was completely refurbished in 2009, King Don Juan Carlos I gave it the title ‘Royal.’
We had a bit of free time, but I was exhausted, especially my feet, and even though we didn’t do much walking by anyone’s standards, it was a lot for me, and I was wishing that we had brought the wheelchair.
No comments:
Post a Comment