Saturday, April 20, 2019

April 20/19 - Ajaccio, Corsica, France

Corsica is a French island just north of Sardinia, Italy, where we were yesterday. Michael and I took separate tours, as he wanted to go to the Greek Village, but it was too much walking for me. Instead I took a bus trip through the Prunelli Gorge, which is beautiful! And the weather was perfect as well. There is lots of vegetation typical of the Mediterranean area - orange, olive and chestnut trees, as well as lovely bushes of white heather. Here they also grow herbs such as rosemary and produce lots of essential oils, which they believe are good for one’s health. (It was good that Michael didn’t hear our tour guide go on and on about this, as well as detoxing, and I overheard someone else on the bus saying “how about just drinking water instead!”) We had a couple of photo stops and one for a light snack of sliced meats, cheese and wine, which I quite enjoyed, even though I’m not much of a wine drinker. We saw a man-made lake set within the mountains and couple of very small towns of about 80 people, which have no services. Food arrives by van once per week, and if someone has an accident they have to be flown out. Apparently this is a popular place for retirees.

Michael visited Cargese, a village with a Greek heritage. Hundreds of years ago some Greeks arrived, much to the dismay of the Corsicans. However they stayed and were assimilated. The village sits high above a deep blue bay, and is rich with flowers, fig and palm trees. The palm trees are being eaten away by a bug that my tour guide says will eventually destroy them. Michael visited both a Catholic and a Greek Othodox church, and had a taste of local meats and cheeses before returning to the ship.

In the afternoon Michael pushed me around some local shops in town, and we went past the building that had originally been the church where Napoleon was baptized when he was 2 years old. As is apparently typical of France, we saw more dog poop all over the place than we have seen everywhere else combined thus far!

This evening we saw a comedian/magician show that I enjoyed and Michael didn’t. This was mostly because he did get some cheap laughs at the expense of others, but I still found him to be funny.





No comments:

Post a Comment