Friday, April 19, 2019

April 19/19 - Alghero, Italy

Yesterday was a sea day, and there was a lot of activities on board the ship. They have groups such as LGBTQ and singles, many organized group games, board games and puzzles, meditation, morning exercises, a daily movie, an evening live show, cooking demonstrations about local foods, music duos and quartets, plus a casino, pool, spa and gym. I went to the gym to ride the exercise bike and lift some weights, and by noon I was exhausted, even though I had done very little walking on the ship. I can do those activities at home without wearing myself out, but perhaps that’s because I haven’t been able to walk much at home, what with a stress fracture and spinal stenosis. So today I didn’t go to the gym, and conserved my energy by using the wheel part of the time, and that worked much better.

Today we landed at the island of Sardinia, just west of the Italian mainland. This island is now owned by Italy, but was previously under Spanish rule. There are 4 languages spoken here - Italian, Sardinian, French and Algherese. We arrived at the city of Alghero, and then took a bus tour on the island, stopping at several scenic places, as well as for a light snack. The countryside is lush and full of vegetation. The area is also known for a special type of coral that is found in the ocean, and cut and polished to make into jewelry. Because of conservation, they can only take a limited amount at a time.

After the bus trip, Michael pushed me around some streets in the old town, and we had some delicious gelato and purchased some coral jewelry.  After dinner we watch a good live show of singing and dancing in different styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment