Did a bit of laundry this morning, since the laundromat opens early and is just down the street, and St. Michael's Mount doesn't open until 10:30.
St. Michael's Mount is a castle perched up high on a mountain, and aside from a series of other buildings that form what would have been the town below, it's the only thing on the island. It started as a Benedictine Abbey made to resemble Mont-St-Michel in France, and was later turned into a defensive castle. To reach it you either have to walk across a cobblestone causeway (low tide) or cross by boat when the tide is in. Next you must walk up a fairly steep and uneven cobblestone path. A man our age was holding an ice pack on his wrist because he had fallen on this path. I'm surprised that I didn't do likewise. The rooms in the castle were decorated from around the mid 1600's. After seeing the castle we had cream tea in the restaurant. This is tea served with a scone topped with clotted cream and jam. The cream is also known as Devonshire cream, and it's very thick and fatty and delicious! It's a tradition here, and normally Michael wouldn't be able to eat such a thing because of the scone. However, in researching this place, Michael discovered that they can offer gluten free scones and diabetic jam, so we were both in luck! And judging by my current blood sugar levels, I made a good guess on the insulin I needed to cover the scones, so all is well.
This evening we are heading into Penzance because there's a pub that has music sessions on Tuesday nights. If it turns out to be good I'll write about it later. Apparently they have a session band and invite others to join in. We didn't bring our instruments on this trip, but hopefully they'll be good to listen to.
No comments:
Post a Comment